Sometimes you try to access a site on the Internet and what you get is 502 Bad Gateway error. Why do you think it is? This is what this article is about. It happens when one server on the Web receives an invalid response from another server.
Here it is important to mention that 502 Bad Gateway is described differently by different websites. In other words, it is the same error but each website has its own way to say it. Following are some of the ways of different websites to describe 502 Bad Gateway Error.
- 502 Bad Gateway
- Error 502
- HTTP 502
- HTTP Error 502 – Bad gateway that’s an Error
- 502 That’s an Error
As stated earlier the error is same but different websites described it differently. Do you know how Twitter describes 502 Bad Gateway error? You must have seen Twitter’s “fail whale” saying “Twitter is over capacity”. Well, that is Twitter’s way to describe 502 Bad Gateway error. Have you ever seen 0x80244021 error code on your computer screen? This is also a Bad Gateway error that appears in Windows Update.
Google has its own way to describe a Bad Gateway Error. When there is a Bad Gateway error, Google Search or Gmail describes it as “Server Error” or just “502”. So, now we know that each website has its own way to describe a Bad Gateway error and it has nothing to do with your particular setup.
Reason Behind 502 Bad Gateway Errors
502 Bad Gateway error occurs when one server receives an invalid response from another server. And there is nothing you can do about it. Sometimes there is an issue with your browser but your browser takes it as a 502 Bad Gateway error. Most of the times, we just know that there is a 502 Bad Gateway error and we don’t know the details of the error. But Microsoft IIS web servers often give additional information about the error. It does so by adding another digit after the 502 such as 502.2.
Fixing the 502 Bad Gateway Error
If you are experiencing a 502 Bad Gateway error then it does not mean that there is some kind of problem with your system or Internet connection.
But sometimes there is some kind of issue with your system which you can fix within seconds. This is how to fix such issues.
- Refresh your computer by pressing the F5 button from keyboard. It is true that there is nothing you can do about a 502 Bad Gateway error but sometimes pressing the refresh button helps solve the problem.
- Close all the opened tabs and then open a new tab to access a website. It is because sometimes an issue with your Internet browser causes the 502 error. Restarting your Internet browser can solve the problem.
- Try clearing your browser’s cache. Sometimes it really helps resolve the 502 errors.
- Clear cookies of your Internet browser. First, you can try deleting cookies related to the site you are trying to access and if it does not work then you can try deleting all cookies.
- If the 502 error is caused by your browser then you can try starting your browser in Safe Mode. When you start your browser in Safe Mode it means you are running your browser with default settings. If it works, then it means that the cause of 502 error is some browser extension or setting. Starting your browser in Safe Mode is just like running Windows in Safe Mode.
- Sometimes trying a different browser works. If you don’t experience the 502 error in the new browser then it means the browser you were using previously caused the error.
- It is possible that there are some issues with your computer. Just restart your computer to see if it works
- Networking devices like router and modem can cause the 502 error. Sometimes restarting these device helps solve the problem.
- Sometimes issues with DNS servers cause the 502 error. Try changing your DNS servers. Remember your DNS servers may be assigned automatically by your ISP.
- You can also contact the website you want to access directly. Sometimes people managing a website just don’t know that their website is not accessible for users.
- Sometimes a website is down and not a single user can access it. In the case of Twitter, you can search for #websitedown.
- If you have checked your browser, computer, and networking equipment and there is nothing wrong then there are chances that you are experiencing the 502 error because of your Internet connection. If it is then, talks to your Internet service provider.
- If you are experiencing the 502 Bad Gateway error because of some issues with your ISP or with the network of the website you want to access then it means there are other people like you facing the same problem. So it’s good to know that you are not alone. Contacting your ISP or the website you want to access will confirm the problem.
Error messages you see below are related to the 502 error.
500 internal server error
504 Gateway timeout