Internet Explorer is one of the best Internet browsers you can find. It comes with a number of features. But, if you have been using Internet Explorer for some time and now you want to remove it from Windows then you must have a good reason to do so.
The steps one needs to perform in order to remove Internet Explorer from Windows change depending on the Internet Explorer version you have. For instance, users were able to remove IE 9 from the list of installed apps. But you cannot remove IE 11 the same way.
In this article, you will learn how to remove Internet Explorer from Windows 7/8.1.
Don’t Go to Programs and Features
Generally, we go to Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Feature whenever we need to uninstall a program. But you cannot find Internet Explorer there. Basically, now your Windows treats Internet Explorer as a Windows Feature.
Removing IE from Windows
Windows has provided a way to remove IE from Windows.
- Go to the Programs and Features from Control Panel as mentioned above.
Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Feature
- On the left side of the page, you will see a link “Turn Windows Features on or off”. Click this link.
- You will see Windows Features window.
- Scroll down to find Windows Internet Explorer 11.
- You can see that the box is checked. Simply, uncheck this box and click Ok.
- You will see a warning message that your action might leave other Windows feature and programs unusable. Click “Yes” to continue.
- You will see Windows Features window still opened on your screen but Internet Explorer is unchecked. Click Ok. Windows will take a while to make desired changes.
- You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Save your work and reboot your computer.
- When your computer starts again you will not find Internet Explorer because you have removed it.
Just follow the steps given above to remove Internet Explorer from Windows.